Film and Video Studies awards scholarships annually to incoming freshman/transfers and current juniors and seniors. Pitch Prizes are awarded every semester to students creating capstone works.
Scholarship support is provided by fundraising efforts including contributions and ticket sales and sponsorships to the annual events, OFF THE WALL and ARTS BY GEORGE. You can donate here to fund FAVS scholarships.
Film and Video Studies (FAVS) Tuition Scholarships
Academic Year 2018-19
Applications are due on or before February 25 at 11:59pm.
March 5, 2018 – Committee decision deadline
March 9, 2018 – Notification date
FAVS Freshman Scholarship:
Awarded to incoming Freshmen who are starting in Fall 2018 for $1500 per semester for eight semesters (if grade and enrollment requirements are maintained). Application and deadline are through the admissions process.
FAVS Junior / Transfer Scholarship:
Awarded to incoming Transfer students or those of Junior standing beginning Fall 2018 for $1500 per semester for four semesters (if grade and enrollment requirements are maintained).
FAVS Senior Scholarships:
Awarded to students graduating in Fall 2018 for $1500 per semester for one semester (if grade and enrollment requirements are maintained).
Awarded to students graduating in Spring 2019 for $1500 per semester for two semesters (if grade and enrollment requirements are maintained).
- The applicant must have been accepted into Mason.
- If the applicant is not yet a student at Mason, they must pass the FAVS portfolio review, intend to declare (or have declared) a FAVS Major, and be accepted to Mason before any scholarship funds will be disbursed.
- Scholarship awardees must remain a FAVS Major in order to receive the full amount of the awarded scholarship.
- Scholarships will be dispersed after all criteria are met after the add/drop deadline in each semester.
- If awarded, a maximum of $1500 will be applied to tuition in the first semester after date of award.
- Remaining funds will be applied in subsequent semesters, to a maximum of $1500 per semester, as long as criteria continue to be met.
- If awarded, student must maintain a 3.0 GPA in overall coursework and a 3.0 in courses in the FAVS major to receive subsequent funds.
- Student must be enrolled in at least 12 credits of coursework per semester.
Complete the Application's questions and provide necessary information.
A committee of FAVS faculty and FAVS Advisory Board members will award scholarships based on a thoughtful presentation of the chosen topic, writing and communication skills, GPA and demonstration of academic excellence at Mason or other institutions prior, demonstration of professional experience or commitment (through internships or other professional contexts), and resume. The panel also considers demonstrated merit in academic and extracurricular activities within the CVPA courses when reviewing applications from current students.
To apply, submit all required elements below by the deadline:
Application Cover Letter
- Personal Information
- Professional/Faculty Reference (non-FAVS faculty member)
- Senior Applicants
- Seniors in Production must include password protected Vimeo link evidencing creative work.
- Seniors in screenwriting must attach ten pages of script excerpts from two different scripts (submit as 1 PDF).
Short essay. (250-500 words)
Discuss your financial challenges as both a student and a filmmaker. Provide written evidence explaining your financial need. This is not entirely a need-based scholarship, but need is taken into consideration.
Film essay on Topic A or Topic B. (500-600 words)
Topic A: Discuss how a film, whether your own film, a film you viewed, or participated in creating has allowed you to understand film as a catalyst for change.
Topic B: Discuss your observations and opinions of filmmaking as an interdisciplinary process. Consider how material from disciplines beyond Film and Video Studies (courses in philosophy, historical texts, musical compositions, etc.) influences your study of filmmaking.
One page resume: emailed with the subject "FAVS Scholarship 2017" by the deadline to email@example.com
Note: Academic transcripts on record will be considered from the last three years of study.
Funding is contingent upon the budget of the program and college. Funding is not guaranteed for the entire time a recipient is enrolled at Mason. There will also be the possibility for award amounts to change.
- Be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking student continuing at Mason in fall
- Possess a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Write a 500 word essay about how the internship will help them develop the skills employer are seeking and how the internship relates to their career goals
- Submit one letter of recommendation
- Log in to HireMason, search for "Unpaid Internship Scholarship,” and complete the application form
- Be enrolled in an internship course summer or fall
- Possess a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Have secured an unpaid internship for summer or fall
- Write a 250 word essay about how the internship will help them develop the skills employers are seeking and how the internship relates to their career goals
- Log in to HireMason, search for "Parents Fund Scholarship,” and complete the application form